Saturday, January 9, 2010

Life interjects

We've let "doing school" fall by the wayside the last few days. Things are crazy with family visiting for my husbands races (half and full marathons), and then Nugget went and came down with another nasty cold. One of the days she requested some worksheets ("a lot of worksheets!"), so I brought out some of the fun ones -- hidden pictures, tracing. The hidden pictures are definitely her favorite.

I'm letting things slide right now, but I'm pondering what my next steps will be. I want to draw a map of the house, as she asked. And I think we'll do some animal tracks, since she really enjoys looking at the ones cast in concrete at the library garden. I'm thinking of printing/drawing the tracks for a number of animals and laying them out in different directions around the house. At the end of each would be a stuffed friend of that animal. For instance, she has tons of bears, a moose, a duck, a dog... she'd find each of them at the end of the appropriate track. I think she'd get a kick out of that. That can then turn into a matching game for her to do on later days.

I'm still having a hard time keeping the practical life activities fresh. I'm not sure why. Part of it may be that I don't know what to do next. I can fix that by sitting down one evening to make a list from my Montessori albums and some online. Part of it is that I'm short on supplies. I can fix that by making a shopping list and taking a me-afternoon to do some thrift store/dollar store shopping.

That's a plan. While Nugget is sick, I'll work on the next mapping and tracking activities, as well as make my lists for practical life. When she's feeling better, we'll be in a good place to pick up and keep moving.

1 comment:

  1. There is a book called "Me On The Map." It is a good book to show maps...it starts with a picture and map of a girls bedroom. Then her house, street, city, state, country and then a globe. Much of it will be over her head now, but I like that it shows a picture and a map that correlates.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter